Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Space - The Final Frontier.

I attended a lecture today on the Mars Orbiter Mission successfully conducted by the ISRO, by Dr. Narayan K., a scientist from ISRO.

Most people there felt pride after the session. Many people were happy about our achievements as a nation and what we have achieved, despite the naysayers. Some people even asked about why we could not find the lost Malaysian Airlines plane despite having technology that enables us to reach Mars.

I was feeling very proud initially. However, now my pride has turned into a sense of under-achievement.

And regret.

I wanted to be an astronaut. I always have. I may never have voiced it, but for me, as a child, and as a teenager growing into manhood, space fascinated me. To go where no man has gone before. Wow, what a feeling that must be! To float, and see stars, and go through black holes, and dodge space debris, and soak in some of the radiation from an unknown cosmos and become vulnerable to the beauty and the serenity of eternal space.

But I could never achieve it. And I know no way of me achieving it now, unless I am rich enough to buy tickets for a commercial flight into space. And frankly, that isn't happening either.

I should have never lost focus on this one dream, one desire. It's hurting now to know that I may never make it into space, forget being on Mars or some distant planet that man has not yet reached or discovered.

I will always be bereft of my biggest longing.

Space. The Final Frontier.

- Vinaykrishnan.

No comments: