Sunday, July 18, 2010

Vengeance

I just finished watching a very different and a very touching trilogy of films. I have now reason to believe that even movies contain messages, and can capture, and reveal, the raw emotions of a person. Everything that is boiling inside underneath the skin of the person who has found reason to live, even though the reason is vengeance. Aptly named, the Vengeance Trilogy is a collection of 3 films that are unrelated to each other, but are about the same concepts of vengeance, violence, and salvation. The movies are Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance. The director, Park Chan-Wook, has done an incredible job of portraying the protagonists' agony, fury and the violence that erupts as a result of years of pent-up thoughts of vengeance. Choi Min Sik has played amazing roles in two of the three movies, especially in Oldboy.


 

Some of the lines from the movies that really shook me up, leaving me bruised and battered.


 

  • Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?
  • Whether it be a grain of sand or a rock, in water they both sink alike.
  • Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
  • There is an angel inside us. This angel inside us needs to be invoked by way of prayer. I realized this in prison. When I got free, and was on the outside, to this thought I said, "Fuck you."
  • After I have killed this man, I shall take you back to Australia. I am too big a sinner to be called Mother by you.
  • If I had known then, that it would be fifteen years, would it have been easier? Or would it have been harder?


 

Awesome movies. Worth the six hours, every last second of it.

1 comment:

Pandora said...

wheres the reveiw?