Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Mixed Bag Indian

People have always told me that I actually live by the adage "When in Rome, live as the Romans". I was a Gujju for most of my life, and that too of various places. I was a Mithapurian at first, then was tagged a Kathiyawadi, then an Anandi, and sometimes even somewhere in between.

I left Gujarat, went to Kerala. Was there for 4 months, my longest stretch there. Before that I only used to go there for vacations and the likes. I took to being a Commie, I used to lap up all the Malayalam news channels and movie songs. I remember I used to sit at the Indian Coffee house close to my IPSR class and used to hear through the Commie meetings that took place. I remember clearly those animatedly rising wisps of coffee behind which I subversively hid and noticed all the proceedings and discussions on dogmas and actions, which became one of the reasons behind the formation of my thought process regarding politics, religion, people and life. As G.B. Shaw put it, "Any man who is not a communist at the age of twenty is a fool. Any man who is still a communist at the age of thirty is an even bigger fool."

But then Chandigarh happened from no where. It just came as quick as a wink, and I found myself in the land of the Paghris, huge people, Bhangra, chicken and alcohol. (Forgive me for stereotyping, but these are predominantly visible).

And I fell in love with this place. It was the perfect place for everything. Organized, clean, orderly, safe and secure, convenient - everything you look for in a place. I found a great group of people who not only are today part of my best friends, but also my guides, philosophers, confidantes and partners-in-crime.

The thing that I think has amazed me most is the music here. Yes, yes, most of the songs are about 3 things - women, alcohol and guns/fights. But there indeed are some amazing songs which truly hold your heart in a fist and make you gasp at their absolute brilliance. Some songs that talk about relationships, some that talk about folktales of love and valor, some that talk about life and change. It's all there. Some that make you want to stand up and forget everything about life and its worries, and just sway to the tune and beats.

The following are some of the most amazingly wonderful songs I have heard here:

1. Mirza - Sung by Sukhshinder Shinda, there is a version done by Hari, which is absolutely fabulous. Tells the story of Mirza, Sahibaan's lover. And a tragic tale it is too.
http://www.reverbnation.com/artist/artist_songs/347287

2. Maa - Malkit Singh has done an absolutely fabulous job. The lyrics do touch a few chords too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7vQztdLpMs (Don't think too much about the video though. Punjabi film-making needs to still come a long way).

3. Challa - Gurdas Maan. One of the best singers to ever grace the Punjabi music scene, this is the song that really touched me, especially when I learnt the meaning of the song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zhDKEUYv6Q&feature=related (And yes, that is Raj Babbar).

4. Kiven mukhre ton nazaran hatawan - Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Saab did this so beautifully. The music, lyrics and of course Nusrat Saab. Lethal combination truly. It's a long song, but the rise of the tempo with each stanza is so powerfully combined with the perfect mix of Nusrat Saab and the chorus. One cannot ever not like this song. It's so brilliant.
http://player.raag.fm/player/?browser=flash&pick[]=300138

5. Aaja ve Mahi - Hans Raj Hans. The song is so hauntingly beautiful. I actually felt as if I am calling out to my love to come to me for my eyes are waiting to fall on you since so long.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSMML5YuO9c&p=9992E095C9D7D0C2&playnext=1&index=88

That's all I can think of right now. There are many more. I'll come up with some more soon. Till then, Proud to be a Gujju/Mallu/Punju Indian. :-)

- Vinaykrishnan.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written.
All the essence captured in a tiny nutshell!Life and its varioius colors never cease to amaze me. We were lucky to have had the opportunity to look at it closely from various angles and perspectives.
cheers - to the gypsy in you and the gypsy in me.

Vinaykrishnan said...

loved that you loved it... i know you can identify best with it, coz you yourself have done so much of globe-trotting yourself.. :) :)