Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Hero (part II)

"Get away, you foul!!!" I shouted. I couldn't even form a coherent sentence. My throat was all dry and I was waving my arms like a madman.

The beast did not even flinch. It's tail kept swishing from one side to another, balancing that huge torso. Muscles like no man has ever seen. Rippling, bulging. I felt they'd tear out of its skin.

I thought of Nicola. Her black hair, cascading on her bare shoulders. Her playful winks and her cute smile. I thought of the straw bed in her farm where we lay on a summer night, watching the stars and making love. Visions of unbridled joy. But these brought tears to my eyes.

The creature, hunched shoulders and outstretched arms growled slowly in its throat. Spittle formed near the corners of it's outstretched lips. Teeth bared. Almost in a smile.

I jammed my hands to the mossy floor of the forest, and tried to get up, my back rubbing against the bark of the oak.

I get up and gingerly test my sprained ankle. It hurts, but I can stand. I MUST stand. I have no chance against this beast on my arse.

My hunting knife in my hands, I flex my shoulders. I'm ready for its lunge. I know that if it lunges, I'll not make it. It's bigger, stronger and faster than me.

It will go for my throat or my heart. Two on one against this beast is a risky affair. One on one, I'd have to be made of iron to survive.

Where are heroes when you need them?

- Vinaykrishnan.

No comments: